Our new on-demand service for digital Performance Grade and ARSM exams is available from August. Find out when you can start to book using the new service.
Booking digital instrumental and singing exams: step-by-step guide
Performance Grades and ARSM diplomas
A step-by-step guide covering everything from booking exams to receiving results.
- Create your account if you don’t have one already.
- Read the guidance here.
- Have all your candidate information ready:
- Name - as it should appear on the mark form and certificate. This must exactly match the name on any candidate ID document needed for the exam. Find out about candidate ID.
- Date of birth
- ABRSM Contact ID – for candidates who have been entered before using our new online service.* Find out about Contact IDs.
- Subject and grade or level
- Any specific needs access requirements or reasonable adjustments
- Any alternative ‘presented by’ name
- Email address for the candidate (or parent/carer) – compulsory for digital Performance Grades and ARSM diplomas. Find out why we ask for a candidate email address.
* For candidates in China, Hong Kong, Macao, Malaysia, Singapore and Taiwan you will need their National ID number, not their ABRSM Contact ID.
- Log in and select ‘Public Venue & Digital Exams‘.
- Select the ‘territory’ where the exams will take place and then choose ‘Digital Performance Grade’ or ‘Digital ARSM’.
- Enter your exam details, including any access requirements or reasonable adjustments.
- Enter your candidate details.
- Check your booking summary and pay for your exams.
- We will send you an email to confirm your booking and payment.
Make sure all details are correct before confirming and paying for your exams.
- Submitting the exam recording - once you’ve booked an exam you have 28 days to submit the video recording. The applicant or candidate can do this through their account. Read our guidance to find out more. You must submit the video by the date and time shown on your booking
- Cancelling an exam – applicants can cancel an exam through their account. If you cancel within 14 days of booking and you have not already submitted the exam video, we will refund the full fee. Find out about cancelling exams.
- Amending a booking - you can make some small changes after you’ve paid for the booking as long as you do this before you submit the exam video. Find out about amending candidate details.
- Results and certificates - we email applicants when results are ready to view online. This is usually within a week of submitting the exam video for digital Performance Grades and ARSM diplomas, subject to quality assurance checks.
Candidates with an account will also receive a results email seven days after the applicant.
We send certificates to the applicant by post. Find out about results and certificates.
- Appeals and feedback – our policies and guidance for appealing results or sending feedback are available here.