How to book exams at Private Visits
In some countries or regions it may be possible for exams to take place at a venue provided by a teacher, school or other organisation, rather than at one of our Public Venues. Only candidates of the Visit Organiser or their Permitted Applicants can take exams at a Private Visit.
Percussion, Organ and Harpsichord exams can only take place at a Private Visit as we are unable to offer them at our Public Venues.
Visit Organisers book and run Private Visits. They may or may not be exam applicants. The Visit Organiser is responsible for applying for approval for their venue, requesting a Private Visit and for sharing their Venue Code with any Permitted Applicants.
If you are a Visit Organiser or are interested in becoming one, please check our Additional Information for Private Visits to find out more and to read our terms and conditions.
Permitted Applicants have received permission from a Visit Organiser to book candidates at a Private Visit. The Visit Organiser will provide you with a venue code, which you will need to enter when you book candidates at the visit for the first time.
Face-to-face instrumental and singing exams – Practical Grades, ARSM diploma, Prep Test and Performance Assessment
- Private Visits for instrumental and singing exams take place during our regular exam sessions on a date or dates agreed with us.
- We require a minimum number of candidates – at least three hours of examining - unless candidates are taking Harpsichord, Organ or Percussion exams.
- You can have jazz exams at a Private Visit if you have a minimum of one hour of jazz exams. The total examining time for the whole visit must be at least three hours.
- For diploma visits – DipABRSM, LRSM and FRSM exams – you must have at least three hours of diploma exams and can request a particular date.
- Check our exam timings to work out how much examining time you have and how many days you need to book. Each Private Visit day can include up to 6 hours 30 minutes of exams, plus lunch and breaks, with a start time of 09.00 or 09.30.
Face-to-face Organ, Percussion, Harpsichord and Choral Singing exams
- Exams for these subjects must take place at a Private Visit as we are unable to hold them at our Public Venues.
- There is no minimum number of examining hours.
Paper-based Music Theory exams – Grades 6 to 8 only
- Private Visits for Grade 6 to 8 Music Theory exams can only take place at educational institutions/organisations or the education department of a prison or hospital.
- Exams take place on set dates and there is no minimum number of candidates.
If you are interested in holding online Music Theory exams (Grades 1 to 5) for more than one candidates at a single venue, see our online Music Theory guidance.
Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, Singapore, India only
Booking periods are usually two weeks long. You can check dates here.
You may be able to add extra candidates after booking has closed if space is available in the timetable. However, we cannot guarantee that you will be able to book exams at this stage.
We are unable to accept late bookings for Music Theory exams or DipABRSM, LRSM and FRSM diplomas.
The Visit Organiser is responsible for contacting candidates and any Permitted Applicants to let them know the finalised exam times.
For detailed booking guidance for Private Visits see our: